Do I Need a Home Report?

Yes a number of providers allow you to do this, reducing the costs prior to sale.

Yes, Home Reports apply for private sellers as well as those who are using an estate agent or solicitor. You will need to commission a chartered surveyor to help you with your Home Report.

The Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) in Scotland has confirmed that Home Reports will cost between £585 and £820. The cost will depend on the size of your home and the surveyor you decide to use. You should request quotes from a few surveyors to ensure you get a competitive price.

No, the Scottish Government has not specified a shelf life for Home Reports. If you think your Home Report should be updated at any point while marketing your property, you should discuss the options with your estate agent and chartered surveyor.

Your Home Report should not be older than 12 weeks old when you start marketing your property for sale. If there is a delay longer than 12 weeks between the Home Report being finished and the marketing of the property starting, you will need to get your Home Report updated.

Yes, call us to find out if your property is exempt.

It's up to you. Talk to your estate agent/chartered surveyor to get their opinion and find out how much the repairs would cost. You need to weigh up the cost of the repairs against the price you are hoping to achieve for the property.

Yes, although there are a few exceptions. You (or your estate agent) do not have to supply a copy of your Home Report if you think the buyer:

  • Could not afford the house
  • Is not interested in buying the house
  • Is not a person to whom you would wish to sell the house (although you are prohibited from unlawfully discriminating against someone).

Before you start to market your home as for sale, you need to make sure that you have organised a Home Report. Selling your house is a serious undertaking and a Home Report is designed to make sure you've gathered all the information that a potential buyer will need. Your estate agent or solicitor will be able to help you with this.

We can help. We have a couple of options available. Please phone us to discuss in complete confidence.